Sunday, April 25, 2010

I’m closer to home and Mickey Mouse than I thought.

Yesterday, April 24th, was my 1 month New York City permanent move anniversary. Thanks, all.

This deserves some reflective thought, but first, I find it necessary to put my newest friend at foremost priority. We met a few weeks back, and he basically hasn’t left my side since. I had little issue with his intrusion, until yesterday, when I came home from a sunny, gallivanting day to make myself a grilled cheese samwich. I opened the fridge and saw this new friend of mine eating that very same cheese I’d planned to..grill.

So, yes, my new friend is a little mousey.

Before you cringe and get all judgmental- it’s New York City. Mice are a dime a dozen, and are more common than howling and hooting construction workers, or even howling and hooting men on Wall Street. It’s subtle, but trust me, they do it too.

One of my roommates is out of town, and the other was still enjoying her crisp, New York day. It was just me, the mouse, and my empty stomach- turned upside down, inside out, and any other direction it could be turned, thinking about my refrigerator’s new inhabitant. I tried to think which of my friends was an exterminator or had a father (or mother..)for an exterminator and surprisingly, my phonebook coughed no one up. I figured out my best bet was to wait for J to get home- 1 baby mouse (that is pretty cute to be honest..) is a 2 man job. Well she didn’t get home until 5 minutes before I had plans to meet my friend Dana who was in town from DC, so we decided to let the mouse have its cake and eat ours too, until we were both back in the apartment.

I returned from my night around 1:30 (I know, early night for a city slicker), and J got back at 2, determined to take on the mouse. She was like a regular doctor in surgery demanding a scalpel, scissors, flashlight.. or whatever tools surgeons demand, maybe not a flashlight on second thought. She motioned for saran wrap, a blanket and a grocery bag. I thought at 2 in the morning, and in our state of mind, we shouldn’t be playing the role of exterminator, but J was unwavering- we were getting this mouse, and her homemade mouse kit was the key to it all.

So I went to fetch one of her insisted upon apparatuses, and came back to find her sitting criss-cross applesauce in front of the wide open fridge-no mouse in sight. She continued to throw entirely everything out until the fridge was near empty, and still- no mouse in sight.

Nothing happened next, there is still nothing in our fridge, and I still have no exterminator friends in my phone book.


Reflective thought to come..

0 comments: