Thursday, May 13, 2010

I sea food, I eat it

I swim (and pee) with the fish, I don’t eat the fish.

That is always my one liner against the whole sushi trend. I’m just
inexplicably freaked out by slimy bite size bits of Ariel and
Sebastian's best friends.

In my entire life, I’ve had a few pieces of shrimp, (I’ll go with around 8, tops)one piece of a tuna roll (in honor of my die hard sushi fan of a
roommate’s birthday... and I had JUST gotten back from Asia, so I was
feeling adventurous) and a breast (amateur word choice?) or two of
salmon. A filet or two of salmon? Either way, I hated my mom on the
nights she made salmon and lazily “forgot” I didn’t eat seafood. I’ve
forgiven, but have not forgotten, mom.

Anyway, I get into these “F it all” kind of moods every now and again. And last night was one of those now and agains. I had tuna and salmon and yellow tail and sweet shrimp and… octopus! That’s right Ursula- Gotcha.


The companion to such bravery was Judah, who, because he thinks I’m the greatest person he knows, has probably checked my blog every hour for this post. Judah knows his sushi stuff, so I felt in the hands of a good man. Judah also knows his wine stuff, so more importantly, I felt in the hands of two good bottles of red wine. Judah is a role model of a man-extremely accomplished as a son, dad, businessman and now as my friend. He used to direct marketing for Sharp (now he is running Panasonic's E-commerce business), and was my friend's boss- that's how we met a few weeks ago. I really took to his imparted wisdom and have been excited to get together again for great advice, a good heart share, and some hefty laughs. There was not a silent second between our 7 o'clock reservation and our shutting down of the place at midnight. The 5 hour spread made for my best conversation since Asia- thank God, I was missing that human side of human beings.

The last two hours were spent discussing how Judah is going to change the world (but like actually change it), and how I may or may not help him do so. He's no Iron Man, but he's got an amazing idea and an amazing heart behind it, so I've got no doubt that the next time you read about him- it won't be on my blog.

But back to the sushi eatin. It didn't kill me. I'm turning over a new seaweed leaf and hopping on this Japanese train.

Sorry Nemo.

0 comments: