Sunday, April 18, 2010

I'm BACK

Here goes nothing. I’ll tell you one thing- I still think bloggers are self-centered. But I’m not going to fight who I am, I’m self-centered, and I blog.

My first blog, Two Girls, One Backpack, served a purpose- to keep my fans (ha, that’s you) in tune with my Southeast Asian whereabouts. This blog, well, I’m not so sure it serves much of anything.

I’ve been trying to brainstorm a premise, a dark alley to walk down confidently, a yellow brick road- a pitch, angle or some sort of focus, because I guess that’s the key to having an engaged audience. But engaged audience, shmengaged shmaudience. That’s just PR jargon- and the word “jargon,” that’s even more PR jargon in itself. Jargon is just a nifty word to make bullshit sound exclusive-

“oh, don’t worry about knowing what that all means it’s ::insert industry here:: jargon.”

How about, it’s more that you can’t explain yourself because what you are talking about makes no sense, so THANKS, I’m not worrying about it.

Awesome, I think I just figured out my “premise.” From here on out I will write jargon. Just to throw credibility at the term, welcome dictionary.com’s (appropriately me fitting) definition: language that is characterized by uncommon or pretentious vocabulary and convoluted syntax and is often vague in meaning. Okay, so that might have been the 5th definition, but definitions 1 through 4 were too boring, and boring belongs nowhere near my blog.

To be completely honest, I love my life and I love to write- it adds up that I love to write about my life.

So, I should probably update you, or introduce myself, if you are new to loving my life as well. I live in New York City. Yup, live is an active verb. I am totally a full-fledged, overworked, underpaid, and proud to do it, New Yawker. Accent to be developed; right now I’m focusing on what might be the heaviest decision in my induction into “the City.”

Mets or Yankees?

I might leave this to be determined by whatever team my first full-fledged overworked, but super paid, New Yawk boyfriend supports. Or, if I wanted to pull out the independent woman in me, I guess I could peruse through player bios and tally up the hotties. Most tallies wins.

More update. I got me a job, folks. Pats on the back are welcomed, encouraged and well received. I just finished my second week, and am nothing short of ecstatic and enthused. I work for OpenSky, a start up Web site. The founders are beyond brilliant, as are the other 41 on staff. The CEO, John Caplan, was the former president of Ford Models for 7 years and the former president of About.com. I can’t answer your question as to what exactly I do, because that’s the essence of a fast-paced, evolving start up. I can tell you that I go in with a smile, come out with a smile, and in between I work with a team of eclectic entrepreneurs who I’ve already learned entirely too much from.

I won’t end this intro without leaving out your biggest concern. New York City dating. Yes, I’ve entered such a world, and yes, I plan on taking full advantage. As far as progress is concerned, there are some to speak of, others to happily part ways with, but it’s all too premature for this post. I will say, it’s not like college, where you have an open schedule to see your loved one every hour on the hour. 9 to 5 is a far-fetched dream in the city. 8 to past 7 is more practical, but even 7 seems like heaven for most. Free time is as hard to come by, as a reasonably priced drink. Both of these factors shit on dating. I can’t tell you how many days in advance plans I’ve made, only to, day of, send what should be added to every New Yorker’s QuickTexts list: “Don’t hate me, but I’m exhausted.. rain check?”

Ugh I’m a happy mess, but I’ll get my shit together and start giving you juicy material to work with. Scouts honor.

Cheers to my life, and writing all about it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

u inspire me :-)

Jess said...

Love your writing style, too cute :) Glad you're keeping the blogging going! xo