Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I told you it was coming. Here is the Sarasota weekend in review:

My Delta flight on Friday was a connecting flight. NYC-ATL-SRQ. I got to the airport well on time, but my aircraft did not. It was delayed, and delayed so much that I would miss the second leg (nightmare, as there were no more flights to SRQ from ATL that day).

Livid, I studied those schedule screens for an understudy flight. I saw a direct flight to Tampa (45 mins further away from Sarasota) departing in 15 minutes and thought- THAT'S MINE. I scanned the terminal for the friendliest-looking Delta rep. And by friendliest-looking, I mean most easily persuaded by a smile with a side of dimple. I'm not usually a Delta fan (and actually distinctly remember telling my dad in the brattiest of tones, "remind me never to fly Delta again" after a miserable flight to LA a few summers back) so my hope was far from high. This man, this little Hispanic Delta man though, oh did he turn my frown upside down. In a matter of minutes, and a few fervid punches to his keyboard, out popped my new boarding pass to Tampa. "ALL YOURS," he said. Victory, home here I come, 4 hours early!

My sister picked me up from the airport and we met Mr. and Mrs. Tasman at our favorite Asian restaurant- Pacific Rim. Pineapple fried rice with brown rice please. And a boat of Sushi-again, please.

Happily stuffed, I fell asleep before you could say, “Pineapple fried rice with brown rice please. And a boat of Sushi-again, please.”

My sister’s excitement to graduate from college that Saturday morning (the reason I went home) woke me up at 6:30 am. So much for kicking exhaustion in the butt.

She walked across the stage so effortlessly, though her college years were far from that manner. Alyssa’s dedication is with notable excellence, and I admire her perseverance and commitment to that now proudly held diploma. Graduating is one of those compound, “phews!” You’re certainly glad that’s over, but in that same breath of accomplishment, NOW WHAT? Who knows what is to come of her future, just as who knows what is to come of mine, yours and our neighbors’. But, I know that if one route fails, Alyssa will re-navigate until she’s found her perfect way (temper tantrums to be expected….love you!).



After the graduation, we went to lunch on Longboat Key via boat. Welcome back, tan.
On full stomachs, we pulled out the new water skis and gave them a run around Skiers’ Island.

Then it was roller derby time. My parents have owned a skating rink for some 15 years, and just in this past year did roller derby find its way to our floor. A team of rugged, rugged women take their anger out as they pound and pummel eachother. Men onlookers wish they were in the middle, and most of the women onlookers do too. It's an interesting crowd, with lots of tattoos and even more illegitamate children running around.


Post-derby, my dad and I showed face at a family friend's graduation party. She was graduating from Physician's Assistant school at the University of Florida (Go Gators, love the new haircut Tebow). Her dad also took the Med path and is a cardiovascular surgeon. This family was the first we made friends with when we moved to Florida from NY (yes, Nia, I was born in New York). We met in the buffet line at Applebees. The story goes something like one family was admiring how well behaved the other family's children were. I can't recall which kids were God sent, maybe grad girl Laurie as seen below:



That IS a 24 year old, soon to be prescribing your medicine, doing a keg stand. And the man on the right is totally her dad, been cutting you open since 1998.

Sunday was back to celebrating Alyssa's graduation. In December, for my grad, my parents took me to a chain restaurant for lunch. For my sister's graduation, my parents rented a yacht for lunch with 30 of her friends...I'm not entirely bitter, only because I had 3 of my friends join as well:

-Beth of "Two Girls, One Backpack"
-Jeff of "We met at an arcade, she was impressed by my sword so I took her on a date, but now were just friends"
-Billy of "Is the ping pong tournament biz cash?"
(final score: 21 to 2 don't matter what you're wearing boy)



Jeff and Billy are both in the MBA program at UF, are incredibly hilarious (Billy more than Jeff), have wonderful teeth (Jeff more than Billy) and are two of the best boys I know. I would take either of their hands in marriage, though to Mommy and Daddy Tasman's bewilderment, I would never, ever date them.

Here are the lovable goons:



Monday was another boating day, skiing day and tanning day. My body's already poor condition is that much worse, as every muscle in me feels overworked and underpaid- they are screaming to be gifted with some yoga.

And sitting on the plane home didn't help the spine either. The second leg of my connecting flight brought back that original hate I felt toward Delta. I boarded a sweltering hot plane and sat at the gate for over an hour waiting for maintenance to fix the heat and "just a handful of other issues." Not a good word choice to a plane full of sweaty, impatient passengers (from Atlanta...).

But alas, New York sweet New York.

1 comments:

Live, Breath, Love: FASHION said...

keg stand...by far my favorite part. Glad my brother at delta could help you out(the little mexican) and congrats Alyssa!(sp?)